The first St. John’s Lutheran school was started in the parsonage of the church basement in 1875. Church records state that the school was unsuccessful and was dropped a short time later.
The second school was located in the basement of the church, which was built in 1883. This church/school sat at Franklin and Sixth Street.
St. John’s was also used by the public schools. Following a fire of 1901 Central School, the Grand Haven Area Public School District rented the basement to house its classes.
Property on Taylor Street was purchased in 1946 for $4,300 with the idea of building a church and school. On August 18th 1946, R.W. Scheer became the principal, teacher, and ministry of music.
Forty students in Kindergarten through fifth grade began meeting in the basement of the church on September 4 1946. In 1947 plans were made for a new school on Taylor Ave between Sheldon and Hillcrest Street., while a sixth grade was added in the basement.
The cornerstone for the new school was placed on October 9 1949. Completed in February 1950, the building cost $86, 920. St John’s Lutheran Church and Parish School were dedicated on June 25th 1950.
An addition in the mid-70’s, at the cost of 285,000 housed two new classrooms and a gym. A modern kitchen and locker rooms were also added. The new building was completed, new heating and lighting systems were installed, and the ceilings were lowered.
Today the school has 128 students in preschool thru 8th grade. The school is open to anyone, and contains students from four denominations. Operated by the parish the school constitutes 50% of the budget. Therefore, our tuition is very reasonable.
“We believe that we are able to help parents give their children a sound Christian education program. However it is the all-day Christian setting that gives us the opportunity to practice this Christianity with the children
Some of the things unique to St. John’s are its size, the academic excellence and the religious training. Being small we can offer individualized education to our students.